Victor Harbor Foreshore Amphitheatre
The Victor Harbor Foreshore Amphitheatre with the City of Victor Harbor uses spatial planning and language to reconnect people to Country. The landscape design of the amphitheatre and concrete bleachers create waymakers, recognising significant Ngarrindjeri and Ramindjeri landmarks.
Indigenous names are seeded into concrete surfaces. Each word is read from the land looking to the sea, recognising the First Nation People’s perspective. English names are sandblasted into the concrete steps. The words’ orientation from the shoreline, looking towards the land, representing a sense of arrival, occupation or settlement.
The landscape design creates a new destination along the foreshore, providing new information and learnings about the local area.
- Location: Victor Harbor, SA
- Project: Foreshore Amphitheatre
- Client: City of Victor Harbor
- Completion: October 2020
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Country: Ngarrindjeri
- 2021 – AILA SA Landscape Architecture Award (Cultural Heritage)