Nature’s Playground at Adelaide Zoo connects children, parents and carers to nature through play. Nature’s Playground reflects the values, aspirations and philosophies of Adelaide Zoo regarding social inclusion, education and the need to foster an understanding of the natural world in everyone.
The bespoke elevated walkway and timber pods developed in conjunction with Fleetwood Urban facilitate access for all, incorporating innovative and challenging experiences and views throughout the Zoo and Parklands beyond.
Dynamic climbing, jumping and extensive rope play opportunities are balanced with a variety of investigative and sensory interventions. A rock lined creek, is complete with water play spouts and a giant sand pit, along with musical chimes and cubby building.
Visitor facilities developed by Phillips Pilkington Architects include walkway lift access, demonstrating the highest level of commitment to the creation of an accessible, innovative and nature based play environment for all children.
Adjacent is the Children’s Zoo, with both spaces now connected by pathways and bespoke aerial walkways.
- Location: Adelaide Zoo, SA
- Project: Playspace
- Client: Zoos SA
- Completion: December 2015
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Country: Kaurna
- 2017 – AILA National Landscape Architecture Award of Excellence
- 2017 – AILA SA Landscape Architecture Award of Excellence
- 2017 – Parks & Leisure SA Award of Excellence
- 2016 – Adelaide Prize People’s Choice Award
- 2016 – Adelaide Prize Commendation
- 2016 – AILA SA Landscape Architecture Award (Tourism)
- 2016 – Civic Trust Bob Such Award for Social Benefit